Sunday, May 23, 2010

Breaking News!

The ink is drying on the contract. My novel, Oilspill dotcom has been picked up by Three Clover Press. The book will see a new round of editing, receive a new cover, new title and new author (okay - I got carried away at the end).

The new title will be The Accidental Activist, emphasizing the role and transformation of my protagonist from a self-absorbed computer programmer to a social activist.

The cover, still not finalized, will show him staring up at the towers of corporate America. I am really enjoying working with the graphic designer and would be happy to recommend her to other authors.

One exciting aspect for me is that my book will now be available in the UK. When it first came out, the publisher Booksurge put it up on Amazon.co.uk. Weeks later they closed their European operations. And Oilspill dotcom was just about to storm the bestsellers list! Seriously, with the novel based upon the McDonald's libel trial that happened in London, I had high hopes of making a splash in England.

Other developments will include creating a broader Internet presence. The Three Clover Press president is a firm believer in blogging and has the experience (and statistics) to back it. In August I will launch a new blog that will cover West Coast voices who use literature and culture as a source for social justice. The blog will be on Word Press and I am already writing posts so that I can quickly make a splash.

The release date is scheduled for the NCIBA Trade Show in the beginning of October. But hold on to your copy of Oilspill dotcom. When I win the Nobel Prize for Literature, it will be a collectors item (as solid as most other investments these days!).

I'm stoked!
Have a great week,
Alon
http://www.alonshalev.com/

2 comments:

James W. Lewis said...

Alon:

First off, big congratulations on getting picked up! To get the attention of a traditional publisher after self publishing is very impressive. I'm curious to know how things go after the editing/cover change process.

Also, a BIG thanks for giving The Pantheon Collective a shoutout (I'm one of the three "tripods"). After years of rejection from publishers (even after using literary agents), we decided to band together to create a new independent publishing venture. As you've read in our mission statement, we truly believe we are better as three than as individuals. My novel SELLOUT is the first "guinea pig." LOL

Thanks again! Can't wait to check out your book!

Alon Shalev said...

Thanks, James. I am very excited and will post my progress.

Good luck with The Pantheon Collective. I really think you guys have the right idea.