Wednesday, May 6, 2009

May 1st I Had Hoped…

Oilspill dotcom can be read on many different levels. It is a story of one man’s transformation from self-absorbed yuppie to political activist, it is the coming of age of the Internet, it is romance, it is (hopefully) amusing, it is (ideally) an inspiration to people to act and make a difference.

I had originally hoped to launch on May 1st, a day that is traditionally politically charged. This hasn’t happened. My publisher suggested that I read through the proof, as things often read differently when they are in book form. This proved sound advice and I did find a few places that needed tweaking.

So it will probably be another month. My birthday is in June, so I am considering launching a Buy me an Amazon ranking for a birthday present… campaign.

Ariela (my wife) is helping me find a venue for the launch in Berkeley. I think we have found a good place and hope to close it in the next week.

It was an exciting moment holding a copy of my book (the proof), Oilspill dotcom, though not as strong as when I had first held a copy of A Gardener’s Tale. I’ve read some authors talk of the awe they felt when holding their book, comparing it to holding their baby for the first time. You wait so long to hold your newborn baby, imagine how s/he will look through the long months of pregnancy etc. etc.

Having held two newborn sons, I can’t quite relate to that comparison, that wondrous moment. But at least I wasn’t scared about dropping the book on the floor!

No comments: