Monday, March 2, 2009

Preparing for the Book Launch – the venue

The website is coming together well, and really just waiting for the book cover to be locked down and ready to insert on every page.

My attention now turns to the book launch itself. I have decided to hold two book launches – one in Berkeley and the other in San Francisco (near SF State University) – not exactly the world tour, but it might be more prudent to focus on my home bases, to build up confidence and actually have anyone turn up!

The first question is one of venue. There are practical considerations such as proximity to the BART transit station, easy parking, a place that isn’t going to charge me much, or even better, one that will be content to profit from the food and drink. It needs to be relatively quiet, allowing my book to be the center of attention.

I would like to find somewhere eyebrow-raising, somewhere that would provide an added attraction, perhaps tip the scales for anyone not exactly sprinting out the door to join me.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful, anything out-of-the-box.

Thanks and Good Writing,

Alon

2 comments:

Harlan Jonathan Lewin said...

I don't know if Book Passage in Corte Madera does self-published books..they might. It's certainly hosts a wide variety of authors, some very famous, and I think they lean toward recognizing local authors.

Harlan Jonathan Lewin said...

Maybe another venue is centerforinquiry.net. They are a bunch of skeptics and technically informed poeple.